27 Practical Tips on Losing Fat, Lowering Stress, and Self Mastery
October 23, 2020
“Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject”
― Thomas Mann
1. Chase consistency, not perfection.
2. Reduce your time on social media. The comparison game is inevitable. The less time you spend comparing yourself against everyone’s highlight reel, the better off you’ll feel.
3. Find a training partner. The extra push and external motivation will help you push through tough times.
4. Find what you enjoy and make it a priority. I love to lift. My wife loves to run. Find what you love and double down on it. There are many ways to get into shape.
5. But also mix in more of what you need. For me, this means mobility work.
6. Stress is the underlying factor pulling you off track with your diet, training, and lifestyle. Focus on stress reduction and you attack the CORE problem rather than the symptom.
7. Try meditation with the headspace app. Even three minutes per day is a game changer.
8. When you walk, close your mouth and breathe through your nose to reduce stress.
9. Take five minutes and focus on your breathing after your workouts.
10. Spend less time around toxic people. Crabs in the bucket will pull you down unless you take control.
11. Focus on the big movements: squat, hinge, lunge, push, pull, carry. But don’t get hung up on the tool, whether it’s the barbell, dumbbell, or kettlebell. They can all work.
12.When you find what works, stick to the same lifts, often for MONTHS at a time. Technical perfection drives skill mastery.
13. Exercise execution is the most important factor for improving your training. Sets, reps, and training splits are irrelevant if your form is lacking.
14. Train four times per week with an upper-lower training split.
15. Workouts should take 45-50 minutes. No more. No less. Hit it hard and get on with your life.
16. MUSCLE BUILDING workouts are fat loss workouts. The only change should be your diet.
17. Eat mostly foods that had a face or came from the earth.
18. Tracking calories for one week is the best educational tool you’ll ever get when it comes to nutrition.
19. Keto, fasting, carnivore, vegan diets ALL work for fat loss because they reduce food choices and make it easier to eat fewer calories than you burn. There is no magical diet.
20. 99% of supplements are a waste of time. Creatine, Vitamin-D, fish oil, magnesium, and protein powder are my staples.
21. Drink more water. Yes, everything is improved with optimal hydration. If you have to ask if you’re drinking enough, you already know the answer. Drink more water.
22. Buy nice or buy twice. This goes for food quality, clothing, and damn near everything. Focus on quality.
23. The things you own will end up owning you. Whenever you buy something, donate something else. The more you possess, the more cluttered your home, mindset, and life.
24. Vote with your money and actions, not your Facebook profile. The world doesn’t need more opinions on hot button topics and issues. It needs more people willing to put their money where their mouth is, spending and acting in ways that truly support what they want most.
25. Do less, but better. Chasing too many goals is a sure-fire way to accomplish none of them. Narrow your focus, expand your progress.
26. Gratitude: Take a second each day and be thankful for those in your life. Say I love you. Enjoy the small moments. Despite the chaos in today’s world, it’s still the best time to be alive.
27. Learn how to MASTER one meal and/or cocktail. Should we meet up, I’ll be happy to throw on a couple of steaks and make you a mean Manhattan cocktail. (Happy to share a recipe for each, just send me a message).
If you liked this post, please share on your favorite social media platform.
Are you looking for a simple, sustainable, and time-tested method to get lean, have more energy, and perform your best? Grab our popular “One Hour Body” guide to for a sustainable approach to getting lean, having more energy, and performing your best physically and mentally: One Hour Body
Love this and the new look website coach. It looks great.
Thank you, Shane! I appreciate it.
Love the new site and this article. How about that Manhattan cocktail recipe. I’d also put in a 25a. A way to do less is to outsource where you don’t have expertise. Example, I bought Minimal Muscle Blitz because you’re the expert on training and I save myself time on trying to figure out programing, this allows meto spend more time on business and my kids.
Thank you, Mike! Great note on outsourcing.
Love the practical no nonsense info and tips. Keep them coming please.
Thank you, James! Happy to keep them coming.
Great advice and ideas as always Eric! Thanks for the great mindset!